Insights from the Inside: A Legal Guide for Small Businesses and Content Creators
Insights from the Inside is a comprehensive, yet compact, legal guide focusing on three main areas: Business Formation, Copyright Law, and Trademark Law. Written by an attorney who is also a business owner and content creator herself, this book provides insights that from someone who understands the struggles that go along with entrepreneurship.
This book details:
• Business formation and the options and types of legal entities;
• Why a formal business entity is important from a legal perspective;
• Copyright law basics, including the types of work that are protected, how long those works are protected, and who is afforded these protections and rights;
• What constitutes copyright infringement and how you can both protect your intellectual property while respecting the rights of others;
• Why a trademark is synonymous with your business;
• How to use trademark law to protect your brand and reputation; and
• The types of things that can be protected by federal trademark registration and why it is so important.
About The Author
Tyra Hughley Smith is a licensed attorney whose main areas of practice include intellectual property (copyright and trademarks), entertainment, and business law and contracts. She taught First Amendment Law at the University of Southern California's Annenberg School for Communications and Journalism. Tyra has helped countless content creators, including photographers, writers, bloggers, musicians, songwriters, and film producers with their intellectual property needs.
In addition, Tyra is a former traditional journalist, having worked at newspapers and magazines across the country. This unique intersection allows her to understand both sides of the coin: the content side and the legal side of content creation. In addition to her Juris Doctorate, she holds a Bachelor’s of Journalism from the prestigious University of Missouri-Columbia, Missouri School of Journalism, and a Masters in Communications Management (M.C.M.) from USC.
Disclaimer: This book and any legal information provided by the author does not constitute legal advice, nor does it form or contemplate an attorney-client relationship with the buyer. The information provided is general information, not state-specific information, as every state has its own laws and requirements.